The Benefit of Age

Couldn't think of anything to go with this, so let's all enjoy Audrey.

I hope you won't find this week's column to be too indulgent. After all, it's only a column discussing how brilliant and humble I am. Kidding. This week's column stems from the fact that—in one of the very few times this has occurred—this week's issue of The Loafer is coming out on January  8th. This happens to be the date of my birth. It's not a bad date at all to be born on, I share this day with Elvis Presley, David Bowie, and Graham Chapman from Monty Python. Fine company indeed. 

I'm 28 today, and I have no problem with that, or age at all. Over the past year, I found myself taking issue with some people I graduated with from high school on Facebook. You know the ones, they never talked to you much in high school, but yet they insist you accept their friend request. The issue I found myself having, was some of their status updates. “Can't believe I'm turning 27!!!!!! I'M SOOOOO OLD!!!!!” Things of that nature. If they're having issue with being 27, one can only imagine how they'll feel when they reach 47. 

You see, unlike these folk, I don't mind age at all. Age means many wonderful things, the foremost being that you're still alive to see another year. In light of the very unfortunate events that ended 2012, I can say I'm more thankful for that this birthday than any other. 28 means you've lived through a few of the hurdles that help you navigate life with. You've learned how to tell when some of your “friends” are really users, and you've begun to be fully comfortable with yourself. You reach that stage when you no longer care what others think of you. Sure, you don't want anyone to think you're a jerk, but you no longer worry if people think it's weird you're driving around belting out The Shangrai-Las' classic hit “Out in the Streets.” 

Everyone has a different experience in their 20s, and mine has been rocky at times. Ups and downs, and twists and turns. But I'm happy to be here at 28. Even happier I'm not married. No offense to those of you who are married and what not, I just don't particularly see myself going down that road at any point in the near future. Too many bad relationships, and too many divorces in my family have caused me to become a bit sour on the subject. But good for you if it's all sunshine and Hallmarkyness. 

I suspect some of you of another age may be a little surprised at the youngster waxing poetically about age and what not. But the thing is that this is as old as I've ever been, I can only comment on the now from this viewpoint. Perhaps ten years from now, I'll look back and regret sending this one off to print. There's plenty of columns from my early days at The Loafer that I hope never see the light of day again. I'm optimistic about 28, life is far too short to wallow around in the trenches of negativity. Bad things happen, a number of things did to me last year. But I know that one day, at some point, it all makes sense. 

So here's to 28, to another year of pondering life, and discovering movies I've never seen before. Not to mention getting caught at red lights, by people in the other cars, with my windows down, and belting out 1960s Girl Group Tunes. They're so infectious, how could you not? Cheers to another year, cheers the ones who remain hopeful, cheers to the ones who still take no shame in being fully in touch with their inner child.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr. Thompson, Thanksgiving, and Her

The Strangest Movie I've Ever Seen

Blood Cold Mysteries